We did our kitchen remodel last summer, and it was well worth it.
Time was our most significant investment with this kitchen remodel. I would rather spend more time than money at this point in our lives.
Scroll down for the complete price breakdown. Tap here to see all our before and after pictures.
When planning out our Kitchen Remodel Budget, we kept the following things in mind.
- 1.Low cost- not to cheap it out but not go all out either.
- 2. The entire thing we would do ourselves. I would do all the painting sanding. Eric would do everything else!
- 3. Keep the design structure relatively the same
- 4. Do upgrades for better insulation.
- 5. Not set a deadline
Looking at the entire process now that it is just about done, I think we achieved everything we were hoping to in the beginning. We are still working on the barn wall. Setting a deadline gives us room to work on it as time allows.
This option works for us as we have jobs, family, and animals.
DOLLAR BILLS DRIVE MY INSANITY
I will be honest; I have a problem. I analyze spending every dollar I have. I’ve gotten better; trust me, as time passes, there are reasons to pay when you want to be cheap.
I let it go for two years when it came to updating my kitchen. Then, finally, I could look past the cosmetic part and see the fantastic size we had acquired.
One day paging through a magazine, I saw it. And my whole vision hit me. I needed to paint our kitchen cabinets blue.
Winter or early spring are times I want to change the look of our home.
And every time those feelings come, I need to do it as cheaply as possible. But, of course, the idea of paying more to have it easier crosses my mind. I am human.
But the wiring of being frugal takes over.
What’s a kitchen makeover with all the pictures and no cost? ( Click here to see all the before and after pictures)
I will share with you the cost of everything and hope to inspire you to tackle a home project yourself. Or with a friend or spouse.
Kitchen Remodel Breakdown Cost:
- 1 gallon of Behr Paint and Primer Semi-Gloss Midnight Sky – $29.97 ( cabinets)
Gallonof Behr Ceiling Paint $23.98
Gallonof Behr Marquee Eggshell $41.98 ( This was a mistake would have bought regular Behr Paint and Primer. It went on fantastic though! I used this on the wall.) I had Home Depot Color Match Benjamin Moore White Dove for he walls.
- 14 LED recessed Light Kits $15.99 each- $223.86( we got ours at BJs but they no longer carry them. Similar ones here. )
- 2 pk. Foam Roller $4.97
- Laminate Flooring 99¢/sq. ft. $250
- 1 Can of Spray paint for Cabinet hardware $3.87
- 2 packs of 4 Satin Nickel 3″ Pulls on discount package torn at Home Depot-$20 ( 8 pulls)
- 5 Boxes of Stainless Steel Pulls 3 3/4 ” 4 pk. $20.98 each = $104.90
- Elkay Double Grey Sink $249.00
- Laminate Countertop with edge and backsplash $312
- New Exterior Steel Door $225
Our Total Cost Was $1,489
Updating Your Lighting In Your Home is Cheap & Easy. Lick Here to Read How.
ITEMS WE ALREADY HAVE & NEEDED:
- Miter Saw
- Lots of basic tools
Most people want shiny new appliances when they remodel a kitchen. We did too. It was a toss-up whether to spend the money or not. Wrote a post about the decision here.
I bought a convection gas range stove and an above-the-range microwave. The microwave before was old, huge, and sat on the counter.
The total was $1,000.
A fridge is a whole new world because you want to spend $1,500-$2,500 brand new.
Our fridge is a perfect size for us, and it works. But, as I shared in our Kitchen Before and After the post, it blends in over on that wall. But, it’s not bothering me yet!
NEED TIPS FOR BUYING NEW APPLIANCES FOR LESS? EAD THIS.
As you see in the Before and After Picture post, we are still working on the bar wall. The wood we are using from that is from our old barn.
The overall cost of our Kitchen Makeover was $2,489.
What do you think? Does seeing that number inspire you to try your own DIY project?
The average cost of kitchen makeovers is $20,000 – $30,000 and can easily be more.
Follow My Kitchen DIY Makeovers on Pinterest Here.