Transforming your backyard into an outdoor oasis doesn’t have to cost a fortune. With a little creativity and ingenuity, you can create a beautiful and functional outdoor space perfect for relaxing, entertaining, and enjoying the great outdoors.
Before you decide to order something on Amazon or book someone to come and give you quotes, consider taking a little extra time and resources to create an outdoor oasis for cheap.
Key Tips to Consider Before You Try One of These Cheap Backyard Ideas
- Start with a Vision: Before starting your landscaping plan, determine what you want the end result to look like.
- Map it Out: Using graph paper, design a layout of where you want plants, trees, ponds, and other features to be placed in your outdoor space.
- Choose Your Plants: Select different types of plants, trees, and shrubs that will work best with your vision and landscape layout. Don’t forget about taller plants blocking lower plants.
- Add Focal Points: Incorporate features such as gazebos and trellises to bring even more life to your backyard oasis.
- Irrigation System: Plan out an efficient irrigation system so that all areas of your landscaping plan receive the right amount of water at all times. This means for those of us on a budget, how far will your hose reach? You probably don’t want to make several trips with a watering can depending on the size of your backyard.
Here are six backyard ideas on a budget
Create Outdoor Dining Table/Seating Area
One of the easiest ways to transform your backyard is by creating a comfortable and inviting seating area.
Whether you invest in new patio furniture or repurpose items you already own, like an outdoor dining table, there are plenty of affordable options for creating a cozy nook where you can relax with family and friends.
Cheap Backyard Ideas for DIY Seating:
- Use Pallets: Transform wooden pallets into a cozy outdoor seating area by attaching them together and adding cushions and pillows. Ideas here.
- Repurpose Ladders: Install ladders horizontally on the ground to create a comfortable bench or lounge area with throws and blankets. Ideas here.
- Transform Tire Rims: Stack tire rims together and add cushions to create an eclectic and unique seating area with plenty of character. Ideas here.
- Create a Swing Chair: Hang a hammock chair from trees or beams for a relaxing spot where you can watch the sunset or read your favorite book. Ideas here.
- Reuse Old Chairs: Give new life to old chairs by painting them in vibrant colors and arranging them around an outdoor table for a fun seating area. Ideas here
Favorite places to buy outdoor furniture-
- Wholesale clubs
- Home Depot
- FB Marketplace
Pillows & Cushions
Consider adding some colorful throw pillows or outdoor cushions to add some personality and a patterned outdoor rug or carpeting for added warmth underfoot. When you are on a budget adding a small coffee table is an easy way to add contrast.
You can also use inexpensive accessories like lanterns, string lights, or candles to create ambiance.
Favorite places to buy pillows and cushions
If you are on a tight budget and could only splurge on one thing to add to your backyard to save money, it would be potted plants. Potted plants are visually appealing and budget-friendly. You can choose from all sizes, which is perfect for a small yard.
You can use any glass jar you already have. I love using other glass jars like small pickle jars and yogurt jars ( the Oui ones in particular). Place them on a table or shelf or even spread them around your water fountain.
Vertical gardening with flowers and vegetables is a visually appealing and budget-friendly design. Tap here for tips on how to get started with Vertical gardening
Water features such as fountains or small ponds can add beauty and tranquility to any backyard. These features can be built using inexpensive materials such as stone or concrete blocks, which can be found at most home improvement stores.
Check out this Pinterest board of all DIY water fountain features.
This picture is of the small pond before we moved in. We removed that black tub and made a water feature.
We made a water feature in our first home using flat rocks we found in the farm field behind us. Unfortunately, we had to purchase the pump at home depot for relatively cheap. It was worth it.
I slowly added plants around it- that year was full of a baby and toddlers, so I didn’t have time to mulch it.
Adding water plants such as lilies or lotus can enhance the natural look of your pond while providing shade and shelter for fish or other aquatic animals.
If you’re not interested in building a pond from scratch, consider purchasing an affordable pre-fabricated water feature from your local garden center.
Favorite place to buy water plants
- Local Farm and Country Store
Hang Plants on Trees
Did you know that adding a plant hook to a tree makes a huge difference? It worked perfectly in our old house when we had a little walkway to the pool pump near our pond. You can easily hang pots of flowers all over your yard without buying the shepherd’s hooks.
One year I did strawberries in the hanging basket for a more visually appealing design. So many options when it comes to container gardening.
Did you see my trick for filling potted plants around your yard for Cheap?
Plant native plants in your outdoor space
Planting native plants is an excellent way to create a low-maintenance yet beautiful backyard oasis that is also eco-friendly. Native plants require less watering than non-native species because they are adapted to the local climate.
Additionally, they attract local wildlife, including birds, bees, and butterflies, bringing more life into your yard! When I feel enclosed around a backyard patio, it creates the ultimate outdoor retreat.
Many native plant species are also easy on the wallet since they don’t require fertilizers or pesticides – making them both environmentally friendly AND budget-friendly!
Learn how to start a flower garden on a budget!
Favorite Way to get cheap plants
- Local Master Gardeners Group for Plant Sales
- Wholesale clubs
- Home Depot/Lowes on sale
Add string lights or torches to create a magical atmosphere in your outdoor space.
Learn how to add curb appeal to a small front porch on a budget!
Adding shade is essential to enjoy your backyard during hot summer days without sunburn! There are many ways to achieve this without breaking the bank – including installing retractable awnings; planting trees strategically; building pergolas; setting up umbrellas; etc.
Our farmhouse came with a retractable canopy. This was our first experience with it, and it’s my favorite. It’s perfect to put out on a hot day, but the days you want to lay out in the sun or don’t want it up, it’s so convenient just to hit a button and back in it goes.
Pop Up Canopy
If you’re looking for something more portable, consider purchasing a pop-up canopy tent – these are relatively cheap but effective at providing shade on hot days!
DIY OutDoor Kitchen
Building an outdoor kitchen may sound like an expensive project, but it doesn’t have to be! Many DIY tutorials are available online that show how to make one yourself using inexpensive materials like cinder blocks and bricks.
You could even repurpose old appliances like grills or barbecues that aren’t used indoors anymore! An outdoor kitchen will provide hours of entertainment for family members while cooking together outside – plus, it’s perfect for hosting parties with friends.
Easy Outdoor Kitchen Prep Area Ideas
- Install a Grill: Place a grill in an outdoor area of your home to create a makeshift outdoor kitchen with minimal effort. Ideas here.
- Utilize Your Counter Space: Repurpose an existing counter or make one by attaching wooden slabs or tiles and placing it outside as an extra surface for food preparation. Ideas here.
- Add Storage Options: Hang shelves on walls or install cabinets beneath the counter to store cookware, utensils, and other items needed for meal prep. Ideas here.
- Set Up a Beverage Station: Create a designated spot for beverages such as beer and wine by building a bar cart or installing mini-coolers near the counter space. Ideas here.
- Install Sink: Install a small sink outdoors so you can easily clean up after preparing meals without worrying about tracking dirt indoors. Ideas here.
By incorporating these simple tips: creating comfortable seating areas; incorporating water features; planting native plants; adding shade structures like pergolas/umbrellas/canopies; building DIY kitchens – you can transform any backyard into a beautiful retreat that everyone will love spending time in!
So go ahead – get creative with what you already have – and start enjoying your slice of paradise today